Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 12: Come Run With Me!

In addition to training for a marathon this summer/fall, I thought it would be a great idea to also buy a house with my husband and move from our Brooklyn apartment (where I've lived for four years) to Westchester.  Let's just say stress levels have increased as we get closer to our closing (ha!) but I was able to stop and smell the roses on a recent run.  I've been running variations on basically two loops near my apartment for the last four years and it hit me that after we move, I'll probably never run them again.  So I took my phone with me on a sunny-ish Thursday and took some pictures of my favorite route.

(In case anyone's counting, it's actually Week 14 of my training as I write this, but I took the pictures during Week 12.)

The starting line for all my runs - near the base of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

About half a mile up Shore Road, this gazebo is usually frequented by old people doing Tai Chi.

The top of the longest hill on the route - flag is at half-mast because I ran this the day after September 11.


Time to go downhill - wee!

I always, always see this car parked somewhere on Shore Road... and I always, always laugh.


Time for a loop around Owl's Head Park! Pete says this picture looks like Hogwarts.

This hill is a lot steeper in real life.

But then you get this view when you get to the top!  On a less hazy day, you can see Manhattan.

Oops someone dropped their Fruit Loops.

   
If the mood strikes, I run out to the end of this pier and back.

It's got an awesome view.

But it's also a little smelly.

Time to head on back to the bridge on the fancy-sounding Shore Promenade (I usually just call it "the bike path by the water".)

A look back at the pier.

See the bridge?  That's the finish line.

Getting closer!

Congratulations! We just ran five miles together!


In super-awesome fundraising news, I've officially met my goal for Athlete's to End Alzheimer's!  But that doesn't mean I won't appreciate your donation just as equally as all the others.  And please help me out with my goal for the PKD Foundation - I'm getting closer, and I'd love to reach (or exceed!) $500 by race day - just 37 days away!!

Links to donate:
Athletes to End Alzheimer's
Emslie's Fight - read Emslie's story then click on my name in the team list

1 comment:

  1. Loved "running" your route with you!!! Makes me long for a more interesting route to run on myself...

    ReplyDelete